In L.A., Sheila got a little nap in the Delta SkyClub lounge. Just like my failed plan during my trip here in 2006, I had great plans to adjust to the destination time before we left to make the transition easier. I urged the kids to stay up during the first half of the flight and sleep during the second half, but even I couldn't follow my instructions. Still, we got some sleep on the flight despite the incredibly uncomfortable seats. I watched Tower Heist, Due Date, and some episodes of Episodes (excellent) and The Office.
We arrived in Sydney a little after 7 AM local time and were glad to be off the plane. Immigration and customs were quick and painless. We hopped in a cab and got to The Park Hyatt in Sydney - a beautiful 5 star hotel that I was lucky enough to stay in using my accumulated points. When we got here, a little after 8 in the morning, they said the room was not ready yet and would be available by 2 at the latest. We decided to head out and explore despite really wanting a shower and some relaxation. It turned out to be a fun day.
We first took a cab to bill's restaurant (Thanks, Rudy Maxa) in Surry Hills for its famous ricotta hotcakes with banana and honeycomb butter. We also ordered sour cherry and apple loaf with ricotta and honey. To drink we ordered coffee (great), a hot chocolate made with callebaut (a high-end brand of chocolate) and a sunrise drink of orange joice, yoghurt and berries. We shared the two breakfast items we ordered and it was just fabulous and I have a $50 bill to prove it! If there's one thing that I have already noticed in Sydney is the high prices for everything.
The hotel is right below the Sydney Harbour Bridge and overlooks Circular Quay. Enjoyed some sidewalk performers at Circular Quay. We stopped at Circular Quay for fish and chips (which served as lunch) and walked to the hotel and got to our room. It's a spectacular and large room with a king bed and a rollaway bed they had brought in on request. We have a balcony that overlooks the quay and can even see the Sydney Opera House if we peek out over the left of our balcony.
We checked in, took showers and got ready to head out to The Rocks for dinner. The concierge recommended a famous hole-in-the-wall called "Sailor's Thai" where we had Pad Thai and the daily special, Hot Thai Basil with Minced Beef. Not being much of a beef fan, I was skeptical, but it was fantastic (and spicy!) Tried hard top stay awake, but was in bed and asleep by 8:30 PM.
2 comments:
Rajiv....some parts of the text are highlighted in white which makes it hard to read....not sure why that is. Other than that sounds like you are having fun already. Yes, Sydney is very expensive. When we were there last year I wanted to climb the Sydney Harbor Bridge, but it was $250!! I said "forget it".
Have fun.
Kamini, I was very keen on the bridge climb until I saw the $280 price tag. I just don't believe I could get that much of utility out of it and so opted out.
Post a Comment