Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Sydney - June 15, 2006

As I mentioned at the end of my last post, I was up early finishing up yesterday's blog. Unfortunately, I could not get the Internet connection to work and so had to delay uploading pictures and things until I got to Sydney. When I got out of the motel to drive to the airport, I realized what an incredibly beautiful place Hobart is. I wish I had a couple of days to explore this city. I think I need to spend about 10-15 days just wandering around Tasmania. I could do a couple of days right here in Hobart. Mount Wellington (which I couldn't visit) dominates the skyline as you can see in the photograph. The area I was staying in was quaint and designed for walking. Alas, I had to head to work.

I got to Sydney and took the shuttle to the hotel. The Novotel Sydney Darling Harbor is like almost any other big hotel in a big city. I checked in and logged in. There is a sense of familiarity in being back among the typical hotel environment I am used to, but there is also a tinge of sadness that I am "done" with my Australian adventure. Although I still have a few days here in Sydney before I head home, it is different now. The next few days will be dominated by the conference - attending sessions and hanging around with other academics. Something I have done numerous times and, in a way, quite predictable. I am not sure if the slight sense of sadness comes merely from the fact that my "vacation" is over and now it's back to work or whether it is the end of the unpredictable and spontaneous part of the trip.

All through this trip (so far), I was doing things I don't normally do. I think there was a relatively constant hint of nervousness as to what might happen that day. Living in the hostels was a new experience. Heading out for a drive alone in a country I was completely unfamiliar with was a new experience. Even walking around Melbourne with no particular goal in mind was an unpredictable and possibly unexpected journey. Back in my fancy hotel and recognized faces, some of that "excitement" is gone. I think we all want to experience a little sense of "danger" every now and then without really putting ourselves in "real" danger. Perhaps it is the same reason rollercoasters and haunted houses are so popular. So, it is with that tinge of sadness that I find myself back in Sydney in my hotel room. I think I have a pretty good idea of how the next few days are going to go ... By the way, on the left is a picture of the Sydney skyline from my hotel room window.

I spent the afternoon in my room catching up on email and getting ready for my presentation in the morning. I then decided to take a long bath and soaked in the tub for over an hour before heading down to register for the conference. I registered, brought my "bag" up to the room and then headed down for the reception at 6:30. Met several people I knew and drank some wine and beer before hooking up with a couple of Australian faculty (Catherine and Nicole from the University of Sydney) along with Ashesh (McGill) and Andy (Michigan) to head to the "Summit" a revolving restaurant in SYdney. Had a "fire sky" drink and some olives before calling it a night a little before midnight. I got to bed a little before 1 AM. I took a couple of pictures of the Sydney Skyline by night from the hotel window.

1 comment:

Idaho Dad said...

I think you did something most folks would not... Traveling alone over such a wide expanse of country. You just rarely hear about people doing that. I know I wouldn't do it. I don't like doing much of anything by myself. So, in that respect, your travels have certainly been "different" if not "dangerous"...