Saturday, June 17, 2006

Sydney - June 17, 2006

I attended conference sessions all morning. Then a friend suggested we go to the Sydney Zoo in the afternoon. She desperately wanted to see dingoes and I gave in and we took a ferry to the zoo. The ferry ride started at Darling Harbour and went through all of Sydney Harbour (circular quay, shark island, etc.) before dropping us off at Taronga Zoo. We too the skyway (cable car) to the zoo. We didn't plan to spend too long at the zoo.

At the information desk, this lovely old lady (Irene Chen) asked us if we wanted a personal tour (for $3 per person) and we said yes. So, this lady took the two of us on a personal tour through all the Australian animals in the zoo (that's what we told her we wanted to see). She was very friendly and very knowledgeable. She explained all the unique shrubs along the way, pointed out unique characteristics of each of the animals, and more. We had a great tour of the zoo where we saw dingoes, wombats, duck-billed platypuses, wallbies (many varieties), Australian pelicans, whistling ducks, koalas, etc. All in all, it was a couple of hours very well spent. We probably learned a lot more in this short tour than we would have walking around on our own for hours.
After the zoo trip, I headed out into town walking, looking for some record shops and other shopping. I went into a Woolworths and was shocked to see some of the souvenirs I had purchased earlier available at half the price. Very frustrating. I found one record shop, but the others were closed. Unfortunately, I had to get back to the hotel in time for the 6:30 harbour cruise and dinner and so could not go shopping any further. I wish I was here for another day or so as I now know where some of the Sydney record shops are.

In the evening, we had a dinner cruise in Sydney harbour which gave us incredible views of the harbour, the opera house, Anzac Bridge, and more. I had baby octopi, clams, and more for dinner!

No comments: